Modern pendant lamps are practical and constitute artistic elements of a stylish decor, which makes them very often used designer tools in homes and offices, hotels and cafes. Hanging lamps belong to the class of light sources that includes models mounted on the ceiling. They differ from others by mounting: lamps are hung on a special rope, cable, chain, rigid pipe or similar structure. Suspensions include a large number of models for general, local or accent lighting.
Hanging lamps: what is it and what are their features?
A better understanding of what pendant lamps are and how they are used in the interior will help the list of features and advantages:
- These light sources are suspended, therefore they do not heat the ceiling and are suitable for structures made of PVC
- Most models of this type are height-adjustable, so they can be easily positioned at the optimal distance from the floor or work surface. They can be adapted to another room when moving or repairing
- Hanging lamps are combined in the interior with the wall and ceiling, recessed and other models
- Many devices belong to this type, so it is easy to choose a product for any interior
- Suspended structures are more often used in rooms with ordinary or high ceilings. In rooms with a low height, pendant lamps are placed only above tables or other surfaces.
Which hanging lamp to choose for the interior?
To choose a pendant lamp for a room, you need to pay attention to the style of the model, its technical characteristics, dimensions and other details.
- Interior design
A pendant lamp, like any other lamp, must be combined with a space in shape, color, material and overall style. In order not to be mistaken in choosing, it is worth asking the designer for help. If this is not possible, it is worth taking photos of the interior and combining them with the design of the selected lamp. This method prevents errors.
- Lighting tasks
It should be calculated whether the luminous flux of the selected model is sufficient for a given area.
- Room functions
It should not be forgotten that for a bathroom or an open veranda you should choose a model with protection against moisture, for a children’s room a solution that will be safe for children, and an easy-to-clean lamp for the kitchen.
Some pendant lamps are compatible with dimmer switches, others have replaceable lampshades, and others are suitable for surface mounting. You have to decide which additional functions of the device will be useful.
Attention should be paid to height-adjustable hanging products and counterbalanced room lighting devices, which, together with the lamp, will perfectly fit into the overall style of the room.
Power consumption and reliability
Creating a project is nice, but you have to keep the technical part in mind. It is important to choose a model with a warranty and a long service life. In order not to worry about the amount of electricity bills later, you should pay attention to the energy efficiency of the light source (to calculate it, you need to divide the light output by the energy consumption). In this respect, LED lighting is the best solution. To save money, choose a luminaire with a built-in LED module or install LED lamps in a traditional chandelier.
Depending on the tasks that hanging lamps solve, there are 4 types of models
- For general light. They have a strong luminous flux, wide dispersion angle and create uniform light over a large area.
- For local lighting. These models are represented by single suspensions or small compositions of 2-3 lamps. Countertop lighting solutions usually have a narrower scattering angle.
- For accent lighting. Such hanging lamps mainly have a decorative function. The narrow angle of incidence of the rays and the transparent diffuser create light in a small area. It emphasizes the textures and shapes of objects, suitable for highlighting paintings or sculptures.
- For various tasks. Such models can be used for general, zone and accent lighting.
Ceiling pendant lamp
Most rooms have pendant lamps that are located some distance from the ceiling and are usually intended for central lighting, such lamps can be installed in rooms with both high and low ceilings. If hanging lamps for high ceilings are found in large rooms, they usually create diffused lighting. To achieve light diffusion and uniform illumination of a large room, it is imperative that the ceiling lights face upwards. So the light reflects off the ceiling and flows into the room. When choosing a lamp, you also need to take into account the power of the lighting device. If the pendant lamp is in large rooms such as lobbies or lounges, it must be very strong. The minimum number of bulbs is three, and each bulb must be at least 100 watts of power.
How to mount hanging lamps to suspended ceilings?
Very often, pendant lamps are mounted on a ceiling hook. Such a hook is usually mounted when building a house. However, for suspended ceilings, other types of fixings, such as a ceiling rail, are better suited. Mounting with a bracket is more suitable for round chandeliers for suspended ceilings.